The Freebase Experts are a group of experienced Freebase contributors, developers, etc. who help the Freebase community run smoothly. Experts are identified by a badge on their user pic and on their user profile page.
Some of the experts' activities include:
- Supporting other users via the discussion boards, Mailing lists, etc.
- Spam control
- Early testing of new functionality
- Administering domains in the Commons
- Certain administrative activities that require expert permission, including:
The Experts group primarily communicates on the Freebase experts mailing list. List membership is by invitation only.
Many tools for experts are available through the
- Expert Hub application.
Other tools include:
The current experts are listed on the Freebase Expert group page on Freebase.
New experts are invited from time to time, based on the following rough guidelines:
- Is familiar with Freebase, understands what it's trying to achieve and also gets the semantic web.
- has been active on Freebase for at least ~3 months
- is very good at at least one of:
- enthusiastic, helpful, collaborative attitude
- frequently posts on Mailing lists and/or Discussions
Not all of these need to be true; a reasonable subset is fine.
How to join the experts team
If you are interested in becoming a member:
- Contribute - schema, data, applications or some combination
- Be visible
- Be helpful - support your fellow Freebase users
- Learn MQL - You can do most things on Freebase without learning MQL, but to really understand how things work you should get to know your way around the Query Editor.
- Follow along on the Mailing list. Even if you don't have anything to add, you can learn a lot from other people's questions.
- Try to build something (anything) with Freebase data. Its a lot easier to understand all the terminology when you have a specific task in mind.
If you'd like feedback and mentorship, contact one (or more) of the existing members for advice and assistance. If you feel you've met the criteria above, ask an existing member if they'd be willing to sponsor your promotion.
Adding a new expert
- Discuss with experts, seek consensus
- Invite them (via email) and seek their assent. Sample invitation
- Add them to the group on Freebase.com
- Add them to the experts mailing list
- Post to the experts list welcoming them.
- Post to the freebase-discuss list and twitter announcing their membership.